Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Day 2...

Today has been an eventful day. Last night Kate was put on the ventilator and a PICC line was placed. Today, she had an MRI on both her brain and heart. She had to be completely sedated for this, so she has been a sleepy girl. The reports are in, but we haven't had a chance to talk to the Neurologist and Cardiologist to get the full report. So far, we don't know what is causing Kate's trachea to collapse. We had hoped that the MRI would show this conclusively, but it didn't. Preliminary findings for the MRI stated that the heart is not significantly precluding the airway. But, not all the doctors have had a chance to review the study.

Now, we sit and wait until the doctors come up with a plan of action to open her airway. The good news is that Neurology doesn't seem to think that there will be any further follow-ups for Kate in the future, as the preliminary CT scan and MRI didn't show any significant brain abnormalities. So where does that leave us???? That is the big question. Kate seems to want to keep us guessing.

The PH probe test is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow and we're hoping to get her off the vent in the morning. We're still not sure when she will be able to come home, but we hope we can get to the bottom of this so we can get her off oxygen.

We are so grateful for all of your calls, e-mails, prayers and support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the posters that they do for Kate when she goes to Primary Children's. I hope everything goes well today. I'm glad your mom is there with you. Don't worry about the stroller, we have a jogger and so it's not that big of a deal. I miss my gym buddy! Give Kate kisses for us!

Anonymous said...

You should have called me...even at 5:00 am. I would have gone. I just called Lisa and I'm going to to work out in a little bit. It always makes me feel better when I work out when I stressed. My dad is on his way up here again. He's got some blood clots where they just did surgery. Hence the need to work out because of stress. Maddy is feeling a little better. She's lost weight and I'm trying to feed her as much as possible, but it doesn't help that she's still got the runs. I talked to the doctors office today and we're doing everything that we can. I'm sure she'll be better by the weekend. I'm up for the gym tomorrow if you are.