We made it through week 1......whew! I must admit there is never a dull moment. Even though it has been A LOT of work and very STRESSFUL, I absolutely LOVE having Kate home. My sweet Mom came up this week to help out. Kate had a cardiology follow-up appointment at Primary's on Tuesday...and what a fiasco it was. It literally took me 2-hours to prepare the equipment, get it loaded into the car and get Kate ready before we were out the door......NOT KIDDING. Then, it was even more of a process to get her in the stroller and try and make all the equipment fit. It's making me so tired just typing about it. But, we did it and I guess that's all that matters.Before making the decision for Kate to have this life-altering surgery, we were told over and over that there is a huge shortage of home health nurses who are specialized with trachs and we would not have any help at home. This factored, somewhat, into our decision especially with a new baby on the way. Most families who have a child with a trach generally have help. Knowing that we would be doing this on our own with the help of family and friends, we made the decision that somehow we could make it work.
A couple of days before Kate was released from the hospital, the discharge planner came to us with some great news. She said that they were able to find home nursing for Kate, not only for a few hours a week, but for 8+ hours a day 5-days a week. I can't even tell you what a blessing this has been. I was a little worried about having someone in my house all day, but it has been such a great transition. I feel like we hit the jack-pot with Amber. She is darling and absolutely adores Kate. I feel 100% comfortable with her taking care of Kate. Having her there has allowed me to take some "Me" time during the day, where I can work-out, run errands, clean my house or just take a nap. If anything, it's just nice to have an extra set of hands to help. It's amazing how things tend to work out and fall into place. I feel like some of the stress has been lifted off my shoulders and hopefully will allow me to relax and be a better mom.




15 comments:
Oh, I am so glad you have some help. That is such a heavy load to carry, especially with the baby on the way...of course, you always have an incredible attitude. I look forward to seeing you around!
What amazing news. That is an incredible blessing, especially with a little one on the way.
We're so happy to hear you're home and things are going well.
You tell Amber she needs to take extra special care of my favorite little girl or else...I'm so glad she's there to help you especially since I can't because of my germ kids. I'll be up as soon as Grayden stops being contagious. You let me know if you need anything in the meantime. I can't wait to see Kate back in her own home. Take care and stay rested!
We are so happy Kate if finally home - I'm sure that is so nice not have to go to Primarys every single day. We hope she continues to progress and be happy at home. We are still waiting for those results for Boston. We should know today or Monday what they were from that over night test we did at home. If that comes back abnornal then it's overnight at Primarys for a sleep study. As with Kate, I'm sure he won't sleep well hooked up to all those machines but we'll wait and see. Hope you have a good week this week and we continue to pray for Kate's strength :) Love you guys.
Kesha
Oh Marcae she looks great. How nice it must feel to not have to ride tracks everyday and hang out at Primary's hoping for a miracle. That is wonderful you have help, now you can almost find a little sense of normalcy and peace with being able to take care of you as well. We need to get together and go out, now that you're home maybe we'll just come see you guys. It terrifies me to do so though because who knows the germs we carry. Did you see my review on the Kite Runner. I like you felt very blessed and Patriot after reading it. We really don't comprehend how great we have it, but every time I think of that book the image of Hassan in the snow comes back to haunt me. What's you're next book you're reading? I kind of like having someone to compare notes with. Hope things are going well.
Oh! I am so happy for you! Taking care of a trach is so much work and I am SO glad you have so much help. We were told we would have help here in Vegas with Gavin, but I did hear that SLC has a shortage of home health care nurses with experience in trachs. What an amazing answer to prayer. Sometimes when we have done all we can we just have to rely on the Lord and he will provide a way. I am so happy for you. And by the way . . . Kate is so beautiful!
Marc, this is great news! I'm so happy you have some extra help with Kate.
Tell Katerbug hello for me. : )
It is so amazing how we are helped in just the ways that we need it. We also have help coming in and helping with our kids once a week. Even though I was also concerned about having others in the house, I have found that the help is worth it. In fact, it is such a routine that the kids really look forward to it. (Along with Chris and I.) It is sometimes hard to be in a position where you need to rely on help from others, but it is a blessing to all involved.
So happy that you're home!
Marie
Oh Marc! I am so happy for you! Amber is definitely heaven-sent. Thankfully Kate is home and you guys have this time together before the baby comes. She is going to love having a little sister around. You are the best Mom in the world-hands down! Sure love ya!
Hi Marcae Wow what an amazing adjustment to have her home. I was thinking about you traveling to the hospital all the time after you having the baby and imagined you having torn feelings. Seriously having a nurse will be the best thing to everyone then you can be an even balanced women and be a better mom to both children. Your not alone. I love you Marcae thank you for sharing your life so openly and letting everyone around you learn lessons with you. Love Tami
How awesome that you have Amber! That will be so nice especially after baby #2 comes. Isn't it amazing how things work out when the answer feels and is right. You are my inspiration!
What great news! I am so happy Kate is doing well and that you have help! Enjoy the "Me" time and get lots of rest before #2 comes!
Marcae I can not even explain how happy I am for you guys. If any one needs and deserves this it is you. Having the other baby now is going to be so less stressfull. I so believe the lord answers our prayers. This was one that need quick attention and it got it. I love you guys and am so excited for you. Ps kate looks so good!
It's so great to hear about Amber!! I was very worried for you at first. Kate looks so good! I can't wait to see her...well once I get better. So I've got a pretty mean cold and I really don't want to share my germs... I'll call you tomorrow! Love the spinning story! I've been such a slacker...once I get feeling better I'm back!
OK first: You were still spinning? Wow I don't think I could do that NOW let alone 33 weeks pregnant! You're hardcore and I am super impressed! Second: Hooray for Home Health Care! I'm so glad that it worked out for you and it's not a scary, grumpy, old and fat lady/nurse. That's part about the NAP sounds glorious! This will give you time to get ready for that NEW BABY! I am so excited for you. Congrats on making it to spinning class for soo long and also for you're new home help! So GREAT :0)
US
Post a Comment