As sad as it is for me to say....we had to make the much dreaded trip back to Primary's. We have had a stressful week. It first started last Saturday when Kate spiked a fever. No big deal....just give her some Tylenol and let her rest. Well, that seemed to work until the Tylenol wore off. This continued to be the trend the rest of the week. On Tuesday, we took her in for some blood work at AF Hospital. Well, everything came back pretty normal except her white blood cell count was really high. With Kate's symptoms, they thought she may have mono. So, they did further testing and the mono test came back negative. So, we just kept doing what we were doing. It wasn't until yesterday that we became VERY concerned. Bryan and I woke up yesterday morning around 3:00 am and Kate was burning up.....she was running a temp of 104 degrees. But, the crazy thing was all of her extremities were ice cold and her heart rate was around 170, when it's normally around 120-130. So, we stayed up with her to try and break her fever. We weren't having much luck. Around noon, she spiked a fever of 106 degrees. Finally, after doing all we could do at home we made the decision to take her to the ER. I'm so glad we did.
Kate was really sick. Upon arriving, things moved so quickly. They immediately started taking blood samples to test for all viral and bacterial infections. It turns out that Kate tested positive for a staph infection in her blood. The most frustrating thing is that the test results came back last Wednesday that Kate had this infection, but through lack of communication, we were never notified. Basically, it was causing Kate's little body to shut down. Her heart was pumping so hard to keep her internal organs functioning, that she wasn't getting any blood flow to her arms or legs. Kate had a pretty rough night last night. We were concerned that this infection was compromising her heart function. After doing an echo of her heart today, we found that her heart is functioning well. This was a HUGE relief, as we thought that her heart was in serious failure.
So, here we are AGAIN!!! Kate is doing so much better today. She's currently on a strong antibiotic and there are still more tests pending, but as of now she is comfortable and doing fairly well. I'm so grateful for inspiration and "mother's intuition" because we have been told by numerous people that if we didn't bring her in when we did, she probably wouldn't have made it through the night. We love Kate so much and feel so lucky to have been blessed with such a little fighter. We're just hoping that this stay won't be an extended one......
Sunday, March 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




20 comments:
I am so thankful that you followed your heart Marcae! She is so blessed to have you! By the way-Mitch and I totally appreciate your blog. It is so nice to get on and know what is going on, without having to bother you.
Kate is one amazing little girl! She has been through soooo much, and as you stated she has been such a fighter! I hope and pray that she will get well soon, and return home.
We love you guys!
Keep Fighting, Kate! We are praying for you. Bless you Marcae. What an incredible mother you are. You have really been an inspiration to me. Thank you for your example.
That little Kate has sure been through it. (Along with you guys) I'm so happy that you caught that when you did. Hang in there, we are all praying for Kate's quick recovery!
Love, Marie
I am so sorry this happened. I can't believe they didn't tell you about that. Please let me know what I can do to help. We will be praying for Kate and know she'll be home soon. Call me when you have a moment - I'd like to arrange to bring dinner by one night this week, if that's OK.
Hi Marc,
It was so great to see you, Bryan and Kate yesterday. Hopefully next time I get to see the whole fam it will be at your house, instead! : )
Sure love you guys!
Its amazing how strong you guys are! I'm glad you followed the spirit!! You are such amazing parents!!
What a difficult week. I am so sorry you had to go back to the hosptial - but I am glad you listened to your motherly intution. We will be praying for your sweet family.
Hang in there! Kate seems to be a pretty tough girl! I hope she isn't there too long. I'm sure you have enjoyed having her at home.
I hope everthing is going a little bit better now that they got her on some meds to help. You guys are in our prayers and we love you very much and love kate so much! love the howells
Marcae,
I'm not sure if you remember me from high school, Michelle Averett. I am Weston's age. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you. I can honestly say I know what it is like to live a Primary's. I have a 6yr old daughter who has been hospitalized 27 times. She has also had several of the same procedures as your little one. I feel like we should have a room set aside just for her LOL. I know how frustrating it can be and I also understand those ups and downs. I also want to let you know that it does get better. As they get older things change and things tend to work themself out. I just want to let you know if you ever just need to talk to someone who understands what you are going through, I am here. I live in Orem and would love to talk. Feel free to email me back if you have questions or would just like to chat.
Take care.
Michelle
jymr05@juno.com
Whew... what a lot to catch up on with your blog... BTW... I have to say I love your layout... super cute- just as I'm sure you are super cute with your round belly. Us short people always get to hear comments from people that don't think before they speak. As if being big, and lugging our pregnant selves around wasn't enough- they have to remind us just how big we are. At least you are not pregnant and having someone ask you if you were having twins :-) As for your little fighter... I sure hope this is her last hospital trip for awhile. You guys have certainly seen your share- and Kate needs to stay home. I just don't think she likes normalacy. Kate thinks there has to be some kind of drama in your lives :-) LIke someone else said... you are an inspiration to me for your strength, your faith, and your example. Good luck with everything!
Keep fighting Kate, we'll keep praying and you guys get your rest and feel confident that you are being watched over even though it may not feel like it. By the way, I just started Sheri Dew's book, "God wants a Powerful People." Are you sure you guys weren't the reason for this book? Really truly it's not surprising that little Kate is such a fighter. I've never seen two stronger people than you and Brian. Somehow you guys manage to hold it all together and keep smiling even though I'm sure you want to scream. Love you guys. Keep us posted on little Kate.
Wow! You must have instilled that fighter spirit in your little girl -- because you have it too! To be able to endure all these hospital trips & tests is quite a feat. Keep it up.
Marcae- I'm so glad that you were able to take her in when you did and everything is much better now. I can't believe that you are back up there but hopefully it won't be a long stay and you will be back home soon. You are such a good mom and she is so lucky to have you. She is a fighter.
You have got to be kinding me...lack of communication. This is her little life and she's just so fragile. I'm so glad that she's doing better. I bet you were scared to death. Can you tell I'm mad?? Love you! She's going to be home before you know it.
Hey Marcae,
I am sorry Kate is at Primary's again. We were up with Boston again at the ER there the other night (wish they could find out what is wrong with him) as I'm sure you are with Kate. She sounds like such a fighter - hope she can come home soon!! Take care and we'll get together after she gets home.
I am so thankful for "mother's intuition" too. You are such an incredible mommy and I am so excited for your new one to come!
As for spinning--try the low bike. I like to do that one while I am pregnant and they say it helps with your delivery. As for the "Maverick cashier"--what an idiot :)!
So sorry Kate is sick again. You have such an amazing way of always looking on the silver lining, though. Very inspiring!
wow, that is so frustrating when it seems the medical world is working against you. my brother has had a couple kidney transplants and this type of things has happened so many times to him. you guys are fighters! good luck with the pregnancy too!
It was great to see you again Marcae. We are pulling for Kate to hurry and get back home. See you soon.
Post a Comment